What are the nutritional requirements of a corn crop?
Watch the video to learn about what nutrients are required by a corn crop and the best times to apply them.
Essential nutrition for corn crops
Essential nutrition for corn can be divided into four key stages. Preventing a nutrient deficiency at each of these stages is crucial for preserving the genetic potential of the crop and maximizing yield potential. Use the tabs below to learn about the key nutrients required for each stage:
Seeds are naturally nutritionally imbalanced – adding a seed nutrient dressing with the following nutrients can help the seedling get off to a strong start.
- Phosphorus – energy production and photosynthesis
- Zinc – auxin production to drive rooting
- Boron – cell membrane integrity to reduce beneficial root exudates
- Manganese – photosynthesis (responsible for splitting the H2O molecule)
- Biostimulants (Convey and Cellburst) can help drive rooting and enhance early seedling vigour, without having negative effects on the inoculant.
- The other key goal with adding biostimulants to the seed is to address and help overcome early season stresses, such as cold soils.
How much nutrition does your crop need?
Use our crop uptake and removal calculator to determine how much of each nutrient is required for your targeted yield.
System of Chemtrition
Developed in the lab and perfected in the field, the Chemtrition three-stage system works in tandem with your seed treatment, herbicide, and fungicide plan to deliver essential nutrients throughout the plant’s life cycle. Release the genetic potential of your crop through a proactive, balanced nutrient plan and get the most out of every acre.
Chemtrition = AgChem + Nutrition
+ Seed Protectant
Rate: 1.5 oz/100 labs Timing: Seed
- Increase root development and eliminate carbohydrate root exudation with the addition of zinc and boron.
- Drive lateral rooting with the optimum rate of manganese.
- Enhance early season photosynthesis and overall plant health with the addition of phosphorus.
- Drive root development and address abiotic stress (cold soils) with the addition of key biostimulants.
Rate: 2.0 qt/ac Timing: Foliar
- Enhance rooting and improve nutrient uptake with the addition of phosphorus.
- Ensure active photosynthetic activity and eliminates flashing during stress periods to drive rooting with proper zinc and manganese nutrition.
- Drive sugar movement and proper cell wall integrity with potassium and boron nutrition.
- Maximize rooting and phosphorus uptake while being synergistic with crop protection products.
- Drive nutrient uptake and efficiency by the plant with key biostimulants
Rate: 1.5-2.0 qt/ac Timing: Foliar
- Increase lignin strength and pollen viability with the addition of copper.
- Enhance nutrient uptake and synergy with fungicides with the optimum load of phosphorus.
- Aids water management and ethylene inhibition with potassium.
- Improves pollen viability and pollination with additional zinc and boron.
Proven Agronomic Performance
Field demo trials conducted confirmed the value of the 3 different timings of nutrient application to drive production when using the System of Chemtrition in Corn.
- PreCede applied at 1.5 oz/100lbs of corn Seed
- ReLeaf applied at 1 qt/ac at V5 with herbicide Spray. Summary of 3 Strip trials with Legend Seeds
- 42PHI applied at 1.5 qt/ac at various application times from V10 to R1. Summary of 4 small replicate trials from NDSU, Iowa State and Purdue University.
Achieving your genetic potential with corn
ATP’s corn nutrition program helps you achieve the genetic potential of your crop – maximizing yield and quality. ATP’s comprehensive product portfolio provides you with a wide range of options to meet all your pulse nutritional requirements.
https://vimeo.com/656295621 Is your crop stressed out? The season has just begun and your crop has probably already been put through the wringer. One decision that