What are the nutritional requirements of a cereal crop?
Watch the video to learn about what nutrients are required by a cereal crop and the best times to apply them.
Essential nutrition for cereal crops
Essential nutrition for cereal can be divided into four key stages. Preventing a nutrient deficiency at each of these stages is crucial for preserving the genetic potential of the crop and maximizing yield potential. Use the tabs below to learn about the key nutrients required for each stage:
Seeds are naturally nutritionally imbalanced – adding a seed nutrient dressing with the following nutrients can help the seedling get off to a strong start.
- Phosphorus – energy production and photosynthesis
- Zinc – auxin production to drive rooting
- Manganese – photosynthesis (responsible for splitting the H2O molecule)
- Biostimulants (Transit S and Cellburst) can help drive rooting and enhance early seedling vigour, without having negative effects on the inoculant.
- The other key goal with adding biostimulants to the seed is to address and help overcome early season stresses, such as cold soils.
How much nutrition does your crop need?
Use our crop uptake and removal calculator to determine how much of each nutrient is required for your targeted yield.
System of Chemtrition
Developed in the lab and perfected in the field, the Chemtrition three-stage system works in tandem with your seed treatment, herbicide, and fungicide plan to deliver essential nutrients throughout the plant’s life cycle. Release the genetic potential of your crop through a proactive, balanced nutrient plan and get the most out of every acre.
Chemtrition = AgChem + Nutrition
+ Seed Protectant
Rate: 3.0 L/MT Timing: Seed
- Drive lateral rooting with the optimal ratio of manganese and copper.
- Increase root development and eliminate carbohydrate root exudation with the addition of zinc.
- Enhance early season photosynthesis and overall plant health with the addition of phosphorus.
- Drive root development and address abiotic stress (cold soils) with the addition of key
- Synergistic impact to rooting when combined with seed protection products to improve overall plant health.
Rate: 1.0 L/ac Timing: Foliar
- Enhance rooting and improve nutrient uptake with the addition of phosphorus.
- Manganese applied to balance phosphorus loading to drive rooting and photosynthesis.
- Increase lignin strength and photosynthetic efficiency with supplementary copper and zinc
- Drive sugar movement and proper cell wall integrity with potassium.
- Drive nutrient uptake and efficiency by the plant with key biostimulants
Rate: 0.5-1.0 L/ac Timing: Foliar
- Enhance nutrient uptake and synergy with fungicides with the optimum load of phosphorus.
- Increase lignin strength and pollen viability with the addition of copper.
- Ensure the movement of carbohydrates and sugars to the reproductive parts of the plant by optimizing levels of potassium and magnesium
Proven Agronomic Performance
Field trials conducted in North America proved the synergistic effects of the System of Chemtrition in Wheat, showing an average increase of 20% in Wheat yield.
Achieving your Genetic Potential with Cereal
ATP’s cereal nutrition program helps you achieve the genetic potential of your crop – maximizing yield and quality. ATP’s comprehensive product portfolio provides you with a wide range of options to meet all your cereal nutritional requirements.